Lewisville Texas History
In August 1969, Lewisville was the site of the Texas International Pop Festival, which is remembered as the Woodstock venue. A three-day event featuring the likes of Elvis Presley, the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead attracted a total of 120,000 visitors.
The population rose from 24,273 in 1980 to 46,521 in 1990, making it the 40th most populous city in Texas. The 2000 United States Census put the city at 77,737, and the 2010 Census put it at 95,290, making it one of the fastest growing urban populations in the state. Today, Lewisville has a population of about 100,000 and is the second largest city in North Texas after Austin. In 2010, the population rose to 853, with a 4.5% annual growth rate since 2000, making it a city with more people than any other Texas city except Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio.
In the 1960s, the Lewisville Lake Dam was built and the Corps of Engineers built a new bridge over the lake and a dam on the west side of the reservoir. This led to a population increase to 5439 in 1960 and 853 in the 1970s, with an annual growth rate of 4.5%. Mill Street was moved west to replace the north-south road that runs between Dallas and Denton. The US 77, now called IH-35E, moved farther west to serve as the main route from Dallas to DENTON.
After the Vista Ridge Mall opened in 1974 and the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport opened south of the city, Lewisville began to experience rapid growth in the suburbs. The main route is the IH-35E, which connects this city with Denton in the north and Dallas in the south, with an annual growth rate of 4.5%.
In the late 1960s, Hunt Properties bought and annexed more than 2,500 acres in Lewisville, known as the Lewisville Valley Addition, and in 1960 nearly 4,000 people lived there. Lawmakers in the new Republic of Texas viewed the empty acres with concern and developed a program to lure settlers to undeveloped border areas. The new settlers, members of the Texas Congress hoped, would keep the Indians at bay. In 2016, the RTHL marker stone was secured and the creation of the monument protection in Denton was included.
Now, in terms of weather, the city has a warm climate that has remained constant over the years, with the exception of Lewisville Lake, which has now become a recreation center for the DFW Metroplex. Lewis County is one of only two counties in the state of Texas and only one in Kentucky where the North Texas Horse Country Tour heads south to Ft. Worth it. It serves as a stopover on the north side of the Texas-Oklahoma border and also houses the Fort Worth Museum of Natural History and the Dallas County Historical Society.
When Texas declared independence from Mexico in 1836, there was no permanent settlement in Lewisville - neither Indian, Hispanic, nor English - when it was proclaimed.
The place was originally known as Holford Prairie, which originated in Lewisville and dates back to the 1840s. In 1867, T.M. Clayton and George Craft built the first cotton mill in Denton County and several shops were built. The history of Lewisville changed only slowly until 1881, when the M.K.T. railway arrived here. This gave rise to a place that the early settlers erroneously called the Spanish Fort, but which was later renamed the "Spanish Fort" in honor of the Spanish-American War.
The Peters colony is also considered the incubator of many other settlers who moved to North Texas, including William Bryan Peters, who is considered the founder of the city of Dallas. Many other early settlers in Lewisville, such as John B. Peters and his wife Mary, are also recognized as the founders of Denton County, Texas, and the first city in the state of Texas.
He was one of the leading ranchers in the Panhandle and helped open the Texas cattle market to the north. During the Neo-American period, Native Americans lived in areas of Denton County, as well as Native Americans in North and Central Texas. During this "neo-American" period, the Indians of North-Central Texas gradually developed the foundation of civilization.
From 1925 to 1932, an electric commuter train that ran from Dallas to Denton ran a station in Lewisville. The beginning of this development began in the early 20th century, as cited in this Texas Historical Society article, "Lewisville, Texas: A History of the City and County."
Let's talk about the settlement in 1841, when the Republic of Texas chartered an area called Peters Colony Land Grant Company to settle in the north of Texas. The colony was named to commemorate the settlers who moved to Texas for the company's advertising efforts from 1841 to 1848. Peters was commissioned by Texas Republicans to monitor and promote the 16,400-square-mile area, including Lewisville, Fort Worth, Dallas, Denton and other cities and communities along the Texas-Mexico border. In 1867, a large cotton mill was built on the site of what is now the Walmart store, where 13 Texas legislatures became part of a package on the Dallas and Wichita Railroad. Three bales of cotton were produced per day and a total of 1,000 pounds of cotton per week, and it was seen to be produced every day, as this article in this Texas Historical Society article shows.